Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Box Break & Review - 2017-18 Upper Deck Hockey Series 1 Hobby Box

I was able to wrap up my work tasks with a full day left before Christmas vacation.  On the last day I decided to call it a day at 11 and head up to the LCS to kick off the holiday.  I hadn't picked up a box of Series 1 yet, so it was time.  I need one to put together most of the base set and I can fill in the holes from there.  


I didn't hit the big Young Guns card of the season or any other high-dollar cards, but that's okay.  I didn't buy the box to hit the lottery.  I beat the odds on a couple of cards and got a couple of the better Young Guns cards, making it a definite success.  


BASE CARDS - 165 cards (no duplicates) - 82.5% set completion

YOUNG GUNS (1:4 Packs) - 6


If I'm going to get six in a box and two are Josh Ho-Sang and Tyson Jost, I won't complain.  They aren't the top Young Guns, but aren't commons either.  Ho-Sang books $20 and Jost $15 (per Beckett).  The other four are $5 commons.  

UD CANVAS (1:6 Packs) - 4


The UD Canvas cards are some of my favorite modern cards.  My dream Upper Deck set would be a stand-alone, 600 or 700 card set of canvas cards.  It would combine the canvas feel with a set builder's set.  Every man is entitled to a dream.  

UD GAME JERSEY (1:36 Packs) - 1
SIGNATURE SENSATIONS (1:288 Packs) - 1


I beat the odds on these two cards.  In my opinion, jersey cards are played out and "blah" anymore.  I'd prefer to see scarce insert sets added over another basic jersey card.  You'll be able to find most of these on COMC for less than a buck in six more weeks.  However, this particular jersey card can go into my Blackhawks binder if it fits into a sheet.

Signature Sensations cards are case hits.  The checklist is usually weak for these and this year was no exception.  Esa Lindell is Group E, the most common.  I win here as well because this one will go into my fiance's Stars binder.  

SHINING STARS (CENTERS 1:16; LEFT WINGERS 1:24; GOALIES 1:48) - 3
SHINING STARS RED (CENTERS 1:48; LEFT WINGERS 1:72; GOALIES 1:144) - 1


Shining Stars is a boring insert set that needs to go.  I don't know how many years running it's been a thing, but I'm over it.  I will say that the red parallel looks REALLY nice with Taylor Hall donning a red sweater.  

UD PORTRAITS (1:6 Packs)


Speaking of insert sets that need to go...we have UD Portraits.  I believe we would struggle to find anyone that gives a damn about this set.  

CENTENNIAL STANDOUTS (1:5 Packs)


I'm a big fan of this set because it has retired players and not just current.  Any time that I can pull a Mario Lemieux card from a pack, I find it a win!  

Between this box, two blasters and two fat packs, I still find myself seven cards short of the completed base set.  It's frustrating, but it's part of the hobby.  It wasn't any different when I started collecting in 1987.  These are the cards I need, if you have them and would like to make a swap for some you need.  


If you shop online and haven't signed up and used ebates yet, you're missing out.  I also use it on eBay to get money back from purchases there.  Between referrals and cash back, I've gotten over $150 in a year (including $15 back on one Black Friday purchase last week).  FREE CARDS!

If you're on Twitter, please give me a follow.  You can also find me on Trading Card Database.  I love trading cards, when it makes sense.  Happy collecting!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice box. You planning on building the set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. Will pick up Young Guns when they start hitting COMC from ePack.

      Delete
  2. I have the Rask, Vlasic and McNabb you need. Might have the others too but I'm absolutely sure I have those. Send me a trade request on the Database and I'll get out my stash and see if I have the others. I have some 17-18 OPC if you have a wantlist too.

    The Nylander portraits appears to be a parallel. I don't like them very much. I would have been happier getting some of the base cards I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice break. Solid base set design. Love the canvas parallels. Best of luck on building your set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much agree on the relics but that Seabs is nice with the red Blackhawks swatch.

    ReplyDelete